Saturday 26 October 2013

The MRI

The next morning following my visit to the Cancer Clinic my phone was ringing off the hook. This particular call was from the Vic Gen Hospital, they had an opening for an emergency MRI. Could I come in at 10:30?

Me: oh wow, don't these usually take a year to get an appointment for?

Booking person: Well we are getting you in because you have can...oh..

Me: because I have cancer?

Booking person: yes, sorry can you come in right away?

Holy, I thought I was the only one who couldn't say it.‎ I guess now that I have the big C I have some expedited privileges.  ‎Wait...this is going to be awesome at Costco during the Christmas hours.

I got to the hospital, made my way to Medical Imaging. There were a ton of people in the waiting room. Great I thought, I should have brought something to read. I gave my name at the desk and was preoccupied by putting my health card away in my purse that I just started walking away. She called me back and said I could go right in. 

You know that scene in The Lonely Guy? when Steve Martin goes to eat by himself?  ya...that. I had a million eyes on me as I walked past the throng of people that had been waiting before me. I suddenly felt self conscience, and kinda pissed that I was wearing capri's and hadn't shaved my legs.

I was told to walk down the hallways and follow the orange stripe, wait in the waiting room until someone comes to get me.‎ I sat patiently,waiting nervously for what was next. Suddenly a man with an incredibly deep and loud voice called my name.

Loud voice man: Are you Sarah Thomson?

Me: Yes?

Loud voice man: Are you sure?

He was dressed in all black under armour gear, he must have been from the marines or something, you cannot have a voice like that and not have people obey you, or pee their pants.

He motioned for me to follow him behind some doors, he pointed to a seat, and I sat.

Loud voice man: My name is Rob, I am your technician for the day, do you have any questions so far?

Me: N.n.n.n.o sir?

Rob: You don't have to call me Sir!

Me: *my mouth is moving but I am too afraid to talk so I just look like I have a really awkward smile*

Rob: Are you wearing a bra?

Me: ‎Ummm no? Just a tank top with a bra built in...

I have no idea why I felt I needed to be so descriptive.

He looked like I told him I just ate green eggs and ham.

Rob: I have no idea what you people do with your clothes!

You people? ....he's probably on his fourth wife. 

Rob: Well Sarah, since you are not wearing any metal on your body, we can proceed to the examination room.

I walked into a large, cold room. There, before me, was the mothership. Whatever piece of equipment this was, it was freaking huge. Since Rob had gone in before me, he had opportunity to grab his shammy and stand over yonder and shine that puppy before he fired it up. I shivered at the sight, and not in a good way...at all.

I had to lay on a table that was going to slide me in and out of this machine. Apparently it was going to be loud, and I would need ear phones. These would work for a few reasons.‎ The operator of the machine can communicate with you, by telling you how much longer or make sure if you are ok. And again, the machine is super loud, so they are a must.


Rob:‎ Sarah, would you like to listen to music? I've got everything here, you name it, I've got it. Country, Rock, Top 40....what would you like to hear?

Honestly, I couldn't think. I was about to be squeezed into a huge metal contraption, ‎the hole I was going into was the size of a small cat door. Seriously, what music would you pick?

Rob: Sarah? You aren't saying anything, are you embarrassed to tell us what kind of music you like? 

Who did this guy think he was talking to? Me? Embarrassed about music? Duuuuuude!
Rob: What will it be? Country, Rock....?

It took me everything, and I mean everything not to ask for The Sex Pistols. I decided to go easy on him.

Sarah: Do you have Mumford and Sons?

Robs face fell...

Rob: No, I don't. I do have the Grammy nominee soundtracks tho, they are on there.

I really appreciated that he was trying, but if he put on the Grammy nominee CD there was a good chance I'd be in that machine with a Bieber or a Kanye song....no way, no....just no.

Sarah: Can you just play some classical?

Rob: Sure, but I have some good Country...

Sarah: Rob...no such thing..

Finally, with classical music playing in my ears, I was forwarded into this hole. At first I thought oh no, but I just closed my eyes and hoped that it would pick up a very small amount of panda cells.

I found out the next day, that it picked up more.

Once the test was over, I was free to go. I thanked Rob profusely for his assistance, but I could tell he was still stung by my Country music put down.

When I left that unit, I found a back way out so I didn't have to face the crowd of people that I knew would still be waiting.

I still have one more big test to do and that is the PET scan in Vancouver next week. I've been back to the Cancer Clinic for the radiation planning. I've been set up with the pain management team, and if all goes according to plan, I start the aggressive radiation road to wellness on November 7th.

Happy weekend everyone, please cross your fingers and toes that the PET scan doesn't pick up anymore Panda cells, I already have enough to deal with!!!

xox s


ps..the opinions are solely mine, I didn't use a real name for my technician guy

pss..I hope the comment section is working, I think you either have to have a Google account or you can use the drop down menu and use Anonymous. Either way, please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!

9 comments:

  1. Reading this for the first time tonight Sarah and not believing it. Not wanting to believe it, but thankful that you got in touch today and that you have shared this with me. I'll be reading your posts and sending you strength anyway I can... Neela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that guy didn't have Mumford & Sons in his collection he never would have had Sex Pistols, LOL!! My fingers are crossed, Sarah. And my toes, legs, arms, and my boobs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, if anyone can beat this shit - you can! Thank you for the updates, you truly are a gifted writer. You have me crying one second, then laughing out loud the next. Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way. If I can do anything for you, pls do not hesitate to contact me. You are in my thoughts everyday.

    Christine (Webb)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you are right that this is definitely your best work yet!!! I, personally, am surprised that you didn't ask for The Clash or something ;) I am going to be sending you non-panda thoughts on Wednesday night...Love you...hugs and kisses from Oluchi and Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I am thinking of you as I read your blog entries. I am going to sound like a broken record but you really are a good writer! I hope it goes well for you on Wednesday and let me know if you need anything in Vancouver. I am close to VGH and I have a spare bedroom (Nana's room). Carli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you didn't ask for Vanilla Ice and when you come visit me in Calgary, I will only be playing country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comments are working and you are a ROCK (not country!) star Sarah!!!

    Love your writing and your sense of humor. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I quite liked the headphones and tunnel, myself. Gives you some quiet time with a nice choice of music - can't believe you didn't take the country, Sarah. Dickhead will have to get you prepared for when you go to Calgary yo listen to it at Kim's

    ReplyDelete