Saturday 21 December 2013

Week 5...

I was pretty silent this week. I needed to get thru it and I needed to...hmmm 'focus' is the wrong word, more, I needed to not freak out that something would happen.

It seemed every week, I had a wrench thrown, not in my plans but at my head.  

I like my head, and I like my hair and I stubbornly did not want to wear a helmet this week. 

Sooo....that's my story and I am sticking to it!

I thought I would wrap up these last 5 weeks with things I learnt along the way. I truly am a different person, I had to dig deep to find strength and I surprised myself.

Here goes.....

* be your own patient advocate, listen to yourself, talk to your Dr and be persistent. When you wait in the Dr's office, because we've all waited....its other patients, being their own advocate

* don't be afraid to talk about health issues, be aware of what could harm you

* cancer is a scary disease, it's not a death sentence, trust the Dr's who are there to help....in my case, they have all been above and beyond fantastic

* if you don't like someone elses bad habit, remind with love why it bothers you, not guilt....guilt tripping should be illegal

* never miss an opportunity to say Thank you

* never miss an opportunity to say I love you

* forgive others, more importantly forgive yourself

* toxic friends don't need to be in your life, they take up to much space, in your head and more in your heart....are they worth it?

* Secrets...this is a big one for me...I am adopted and have the best mom and dad in the world. My birthmother married my birthfather and had two more children, these children, and my birthfather want nothing to do with me. I've been heavily encouraged to keep this a secret, not by my family, no ....know what? their loss...completely

* grab a sense of humour

* smile more

* hug often

* I'm going to be here next Christmas


Thank you, all of you, who read my blog, left a comment or sent me a note. Each one I read 100 times, each one I was thankful for.

I started this feeling very alone, but quickly felt everyones presence. I did not feel alone afterwards, it wasn't just me anymore, and I am grateful.

From the bottom of my heart, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

Enjoy the holidays, we are back on treatments to pummel more panda, the beginning of January!

xox
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, wishing you love, peace and happiness this holiday season...thank you again for sharing your thoughts and wisdom in this blog, you are an amazing mother, daughter and friend <3

    Christine Webb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel thankful for the wisdom you have shared. I feel blessed to call you my friend. I am forever in debt to you for your support in my own Mom's passing. I am beyond hopeful for your successful recovery and destruction of the panda. I am a country away, but feel closer to you than many people 2 houses away.I get you and am pretty sure you get me. I appreciate the times I am down or struggling and you give me just the guidance I need to get me back on track. I love you
    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I learn from the life lessons that you are experiencing. I am forever grateful for the support you gave to me and continue to give to me since my Mom passed. I am grateful for your unconditional friendship. I am hopeful for a successful recovery and destruction of the panda. Although I live another country, I feel closer to you than people 2 houses away. The guidance you have given me when I am down and struggling has helped me make it through some of my darkest times. I get you and I think you get me. I am blessed to have you in my life today and always!
    Sending you love and hugs,
    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list and you are so right, their loss! We are so lucky to have you in our lives!! xo

    ReplyDelete