Thursday 31 July 2014

Chemo - Round 3

I'm not even going to pretend that I was able to give chemo a fight this time. I didn't see the first punch coming, it knocked me down for 8 days straight. I'm guessing the more run down your body gets from chemo, the harder it is to come back from it. I can't wait until this is over.

The day it got me was a Sunday, I woke up and felt nauseous and achy, which is normal after chemo. My body did.not.want.to.move.....and from the way it felt when I did move it, I wanted to stay very still. And so I stayed like that for days, no energy, achy, sore, nauseous, sleepy. It was horrible.

 About day 5, I pushed myself to go downstairs. It was very difficult, I felt light headed, but at the same time I didn't feel that my body was strong enough to hold my head.  The whole adventure of going downstairs was exhausting, all I could do was turn around and go right back upstairs. When I got to the staircase..I cried. Hot tears ran down my face. I felt completely defeated and I had a pity party right then and there about....well, everything I guess.   I finally wiped away my tears, pulled on my big girl panties and made the slow trek upstairs.    Then one morning I woke up, and I knew that chemo had released me from its clutches, that I was strong again. I was right.

Suffering from the effects of chemo aren't always as cut and dry as above. I have mouth sores, which make brushing my teeth very painful, day and night. My hair, or whatever you want to call what's left of it is just a mess....i usually wear a touque around the house and when I go out....a touque in this weather. My nose! Holy 50 shades of snot (sorry)....it runs and runs all the time....and at the wierdest tiimes!   Ugggh Chemo!

I am better now. That is all that matters. I've gotten stronger and I know what to expect.

I had a CT scan this week. This scan will tell us whether the chemo is working, and whether the tumour on the omentum has shrunk. I was originally for scheduled for 6 chemo sessions, so if it does look to be working then we keep on with the schedule, if not....then I don't know.

My previous Dr wouldn't let me wait for results, I would either have an appt right away, or I would get a phone call, usually at night. With this new Dr, I don't have any of those things.....yet, I am hoping I still may hear from him by the end of the week.

This has been a very difficult 3 weeks, I think this update reflects that. I would not have gotten thru without my children, Jesse, Hayley and Sophie and my super Mom, and our wonderful friend Dawn. Thank you thank you thank you.

Also, friends who are asking what they can do to help, food is what is working the best, frozen meals or whatever works for you.

More thank yous go to Emma G, Wendy S, Dawn LB, Tegan C, and my super Mom


xoxo
s

1 comment:

  1. Best of Luck Sarah - still and always in my thoughts and prayers. Nadine

    ReplyDelete